Πέμπτη 20 Σεπτεμβρίου 2007

Welcome to Greece


Hello beautiful people,

I cannot believe I'm saying this, but I'm missing L.A. already!!
Let me give you a taste of Greece.

I have now been here for 2 weeks. Of course, I have been here many times before, for much longer periods, during the summer holidays, for example. But never before with the intent to actually settle here for a longer while. The process is rather different. Let me give you some examples.

I still do not have Internet at home, because it takes at least 2 weeks to get connected. Which in fact, from what my friends tell me, usually means closer to a month. When I express surprise at this obvious lack of efficiency (well-used that I am by now to the US’s usually super-fast service), they immediately become defensive. Greece being the greatest country in the world, one can bear a little discomfort here and there, I am told.

When I go to the bank to order a card for my current account (opened a couple of years back and which has retained a balance of 0 euros until very recently), I am told after waiting for ½ hour that I should first call “this number” – which she scribbles down for me. When I call this number, they answer that they have nothing to do with it, and of course I should go back to the bank to order my card.

I have just summarized Greece in 1 sentence for you: an endless back and forth between various offices and officials who NEVER have ANYTHING to do with your problem, even though you were referred to them. Either they will advise you to go back to the person who sent you, or they will send you on another merry chase to the next office – which of course has NOTHING to do with…. You get it. That’s why I still do not have a Greek passport, despite 10 years of trying. Yes, 10 years. I think even Stalin’s Russia would be put to shame by the Greeks.

But what have I been doing over the last 2 weeks, you ask? I am still waiting to hear from my maybe-new boss, as the quasi-entirety of Athens is on holiday until today. (August the 15th being one of the most important holidays, the Virgin’s own.) I have no contract, of course, as everything here happens on a handshake. I have no idea when we are supposed to start shooting, or when the show is supposed to start airing.

So I have of course been enjoying the beach every day. The sand, the sun, the translucent, turquoise waters, full of little fish. No more repulsive, squishy algae that tangle around your ankles. No more terror of the opaque, brownish water under which I used to constantly fear the sudden appearance of Jaws, or worse: unnamable rejects from the sewers... (I’m sure most of you have recognized Santa Monica beach in this description.)

No more little huts ruining the view. Here, we have only ONE lifeguard for the entire beach. Granted, the beach is not as big as the one in Santa Monica and the sea is generally calmer, but I’m pretty sure he cannot see its entirety at once. Plus, he generally prefers lounging in his chair with a coffee. However, we do have the appearance of being protected, which is certainly better than nothing.

Time to call my maybe-boss and see what my immediate future looks like.


-----













SOME FEEDBACK ABOUT THIS NEWSLETTER:








----

Christine L:

Oh Laura, you are HYSTERICAL!!! I feel your pain. I too have been missing LA the last 4 months since moving here to Chicago (the land of the FAT sausage eating, beer drinking Cubs fans).







---

Joe L:

I see you haven't embraced the laid back nature of your homeland. I am so surprised that American efficiency has taken such a hold on you. Don't you find it refreshing to live somewhere with a slower pace, a more carefree attitude? Or perhaps you are a true Los Angeles citizen now and you didn't even realize it. Oh, the irony. I have to admit I am jealous of your time spent on the beaches of Greece. From your true home in LA...







---

Linus L:

Sounds like you stepped foot into a Fellini movie.
If you see Volpina, let me know.






---

Ari S:

Now you know why I have been telling you that America is the greatest country in the world for all the years I have known you and that Greece is only like number 29 or something (not sure...hehe). Welcome to being an American. You have been indoctrinated and now you will never go back mentally...






---

Aldo S:

Well, it could be seen as an "anthropological" study, enjoy!, but please don't become "assimilated"......:)


Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια: